3.20.2009

overly optimistic bride

Not that I recommend spending time in an ICU, but I had a fairly decent time hanging out in the ICU waiting room in Saskatoon last week. My sister-in-law's father has taken ill and will be spending some much needed time within those rooms getting the care he needs (this is something you can pray for and I encourage it). But I got to hang out in the waiting rooms and meet a lot of new people so I thought I would share some of their stories:

I'm going to start with the Overly Optimistic Bride, Autumn*. Autumn's fiance, Earp, was brought into the hospital after suffering a ruptured spleen. It was successfully removed but he unfortunately went into cardiac arrect during recovery. Thanks to the great staff at the hospital Earp was saved and sent off to the ICU to recover. At this point in time the doctors were telling Autumn that the odds were stacked against her fiance and she should prepare herself for what could happen. Now, as her name might suggest, the overly optimistic Autumn refused to believe the doctor's prognosis. She said she believed in miracles and that is what was going to happen.

Autumn really believed that everything was going to be okay. Not just okay, but perfect. After one conversation with her I realized she didn't live in a 'glass is half empty' sort of world. Her glass was 90% full, with a silver lining, while unicorns and rainbow danced around the freakin' glass! I'm sorry, I don't care how optimistic you are, but reality needs to set in eventually! I'm one of the most optimistic people I know and that can be one of my biggest faults! I'm aware of that. Autumn is not aware of this fault!

She was to be married in less than a week on the day I talked with her. Her husband-to-be was still lying in intensive care in an induced coma and she hadn't postponed a single thing for the wedding! No matter how quickly Earp's recovery could be, there was no way he would enjoy his wedding. None! Chances were that he wouldn't be out of the hospital by then! I was completely flabergasted by the delusional thinking of Autumn.

So how did it end? I'm not completely sure. But when I left the hospital on Sunday, Earp was supposed to be moving out of ICU into recovery. He was feeling good, but still pretty hopped up on the meds. Autumn believed that she was the one who was right all along and she news Earp would be a miracle because that's the type of guy he is! Part of me is frustrated that she was right, but the majorty of me is overly happy that Earp pulled through and appears to be doing well. I wish them all the best and hope they have a great life, but with a bit more reality interjected into it.

UPDATE: Today is the wedding day and Earp was released and guess what!?!?! The wedding is a go! HOLY SHIT! Autumn says not to worry because the wedding will be quick and it's a small short reception, only 3 hours! But the did have to cancel their trip to Mexico.

Some other day I'll tell you about Autumn's theory on in-laws.

*names have been changed because I'm afraid you might know these people.
** I'm really bad at making up fake names, nicknames are a completely different story though.

1 comments:

tee said...

Wow, this is amazing. All I can think is good for her for staying so positive. I know what its like to get a horrible prognosis for a family member and that sometimes you have to live in a place of denial to be able to cope mentally. I'm really glad this had such a happy ending, 'cause that's so rare.

And seriously, Earp? HILARIOUS!