4.17.2009

i still don't like billy bob

So I'm still obsessed with this Billy Bob Thornton - Jian Ghomeshi thing. I was told by a great friend that on The Boxmaster's website there was an article in defence of Billy Bob's actions on Q. So of course I read it. And get all obsessive compulsive about this story again. Thanks a lot!

First of all I do have to admit that this story has been way overblown - even by me. So here's the link to Swampland.com, the site who has decided to come to Billy Bob's defence. In their attempts to debunk the myths surrounding this incident I get terribly frustrated.

So Myth#1: Billy Bob Thornton's actions were weird or inexplicable - This is clearly false. Anyone watching or listening to the interview can see by his actions that he was merely choosing not to participate in the interview. This might be uncomfortable, but it is his right.

If he didn't want to participate he should have just stopped talking, deferred to another band mate or left and not talked about monster magazines.

Myth #2: There wasn’t an previous understanding about the content of the interview

Here the author uses a transcript of the interview where Jian Ghomeshi (whose name always has to be said in full... it's just that type of name!) says that his produces had said Billy Bob didn't want to focus on questions around his acting career. There were no questions about his acting career, only music. Too bad there weren't any monster questions, Billy Bob did have an answer for that topic.

There are a few more defences 'myths' - how it was Billy Bob's right to request to have no questions asked about his acting career, another similar one, and the last one is that Billy Bob does like Canadians. But my most favourite line in the entire article is...

It is the downside of celebrity that every word you say can be parsed or taken out of context.

Why is this the best line? Because the author of this article is taking everything Jian Ghomeshi said out of context! I love it. How ironic is that? And hypocritical? Amazing!

Oh and they used the word 'parsed'! The word 'parse' means to analyze an object specifically. Commonly it's used in computer science to refer to reading program code or breaking up ordinary text. Search engines typically parse search phrases entered by users so that they can more accurately search for each word. I think they wanted to use the word paraphrase. But I'm no English major!

So yeah, I'll let this story die now. I just get worked up about somethings. Don't even get me started about plastic bags!!

0 comments: